Benefit entitlements

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) & Attendance Allowance (AA)

Your hearing loss may mean you are entitled to different kinds of benefits. This will depend on how your hearing loss affects you. Though there are many more types of benefits, the main types of benefit you may be eligible for are Personal Independence Payment (PIP) or Attendance Allowance (AA).

The PIP benefit is for adults, aged 16 to 64, and this benefit replaced Disability Living Allowance (DLA).

The AA benefit is for people who have reached state pension age. DLA is still available, but this benefit is now for children and young people up to the age of 16.

Generally speaking, you apply for benefits from the UK Government, but things are changing and the processes and organisations to contact might be different depending on which part of the UK you live in. Read on for more information about where you can get advice or information about how to apply for benefits and which benefit you might be entitled to.

Where to go for help

There are many ways to contact the Disability Service Centre to get advice or information about a claim you’ve already made for Disability Living Allowance, Attendance Allowance or Personal Independence Payment.

Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

From April 2013, adults aged 16 to 64 can no longer apply for DLA. You can only apply for DLA if you are under 16. This benefit helps with the extra costs of looking after a child who is under 16 and has additional difficulties. Applicants for DLA must meet all the eligibility requirements.

Note: If you live in England, Wales and Scotland and you had/have DLA prior to April 2013 AND were born before 8 April 1948, you will keep getting DLA. If you had/have DLA and were born after 8 April 1948, you will continue to get DLA until Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) invites you to apply for the Personal Independence Payment benefit (PIP; see below). You do not need to do anything until the DWP writes to you about your DLA unless your circumstances change.

If you live in Northern Ireland, PIP began replacing DLA in 2016, and the process is a bit different. Click this link for more information about what to do if you live in Northern Ireland:

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

This benefit is for people aged 16 to 64 who need help with the extra costs of a long-term illness or disability. What you receive is not based on your condition, but how your condition affects you.

PIP is made up of two component parts:

  • Daily Living component (which includes needing help with things like communication, managing medicines or treatments, washing and bathing etc).
  • Mobility component (if you need help with going out and moving around) and each component is paid at either a standard or enhanced rate.

To get this benefit, you need to meet specific eligibility requirements. You may also need to meet an independent health care professional so they can do an assessment.

Where to go for more information or help

Attendance Allowance (AA)

You can get Attendance Allowance (AA) if you have reached state pension age and you have a physical disability. There are specific eligibility requirements and you can apply by post.

Where to go for more information or help

Get our e-newsletter

Stay up to date with the latest news, stories and updates from Hearing Link Services and from across the deaf sector.

Benefits in Scotland

The Scotland Act (2016) gave Scotland new, devolved powers in relation to social security and this includes responsibility over certain benefits. When the Social Security (Scotland) Act 2018 became a law, a new agency – the Social Security Scotland Agency – was created. This agency will take charge of benefit distribution for people who live in Scotland. Between now and 2021, the Social Security Scotland Agency will deliver three forms of disability assistance:

Each of these three benefits will have specific eligibility requirements, many of which will be similar to those already in place for existing benefits.

Where to go for more information or help

Webpage published:

Did you find this page helpful?

We value your feedback

If you have any suggestions as to how we can improve this page, please do let us know. Please note that we cannot respond directly to feedback left below, however if you have any questions for us, please email or click the link at the top of this page.